As the center of the Mekong Delta, Can Tho offers visitors many unique and interesting experiences. What are the best things to do in Can Tho? Take note of these tips to prepare for your journey.
Take a boat to Cai Rang floating market
Cai Rang floating market is the most popular spot to visit in Can Tho, offering the unique cultural beauty of the river region.
This market is also one of the five largest floating markets in the Mekong Delta.
For those who want to visit the market, you should get here at dawn because this is when the market is most active and crowded. All buying, selling, or eating activities take place on the river, and you will have an interesting experience here.
Travel tips: Get to Ninh Kieu port around 5 am to rent a boat or join a tour. You should go straight to the port gate and buy the tickets at the booth.
Eat Pizza at Hu Tieu factory
Visiting Can Tho, you should try a very special dish – Hu Tieu pizza!
If traditional pizzas feature a dough base, people in Can Tho create it with a familiar ingredient of the region – rice noodles.
To make this dish, the chef quickly fries rice noodles in a hot oil pan until they are golden. Interestingly, the large round and crunchy product look a lot like pizza. The topping includes salted shredded pork, eggs, onions, garlic, and peanuts.
Where to try it?: We tried this dish at the Sau Hoai factory. Check our Sau Hoai factory guide for more information.
Relax at Fruit garden
Can Tho is famous for its rustic and charming scenery and its fruit orchards by rivers.
If you visit Can Tho during the summer (May to August), taking a trip to the fruit orchards is an excellent idea as it’s the blooming season. Also, you’ll be able to try different fruits depending on the season.
Some popular fruit gardens are:
- Ba Cong orchard: Long Tuyen, Binh Thuy, Can Tho
- Con Son island: about 8 km from Can Tho
Explore Cocoa farm
If you’d like to learn and see how to make traditional chocolate in Can Tho, don’t miss your trip to Muoi Cuong Cocoa farm.
This family-run cocoa farm has more than 2,000 cocoa trees, including over 15 varieties of cocoa. Some cocoa trees here were planted for a long time and now are 30-40 years old.
It was very interesting to see the whole process of chocolate making from the plant to the ready product. We got to see the plants, dried cocoa beans, and then try the chocolate.
- Address: My Khanh, Phong Dien, Can Tho
- Opening time: 7 am to 12 pm
See the architecture at Ong Temple
Ong Temple is one of the ancient temples in Can Tho, showing the unique culture of the Chinese people. The temple was built in 1894 and took two years to complete.
We were impressed with the architecture of this temple. Its appearance stands out in the middle of bustling residential areas, with colorful decorative architecture.
This temple reminds me of Thien Hau Pagoda in District 5 in Saigon, with a similar design.
Address: 32 Hai Ba Trung street, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho
Visit Pitu Khosa Rangsay Temple
From the beginning of its exploration, Can Tho was a place where different ethnic groups lived and worked, so the cultures and beliefs here are very rich and diverse.
After a visit to Ong temple, we walked to Pitu Khosa Rangsay – a Khmer temple.
This temple is one of the most magnificent temples in the Mekong Delta, welcoming many people in the southwestern region to worship.
- Address: 27 Mac Dinh Chi street, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
- Opening time: 7 am to 9 pm
Visit Munirensay Temple
Munirensay temple is another popular Khmer temple that you should visit in Can Tho.
We did not see the interior, but just the outside is very beautiful. The architecture looks very impressive, and the buildings are extensively painted in gold color.
- Address: 36 Hoa Binh Street, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho
- Opening time: 8 am to 6 pm
Explore Binh Thuy Ancient House
This 100-year-old house is known as one of the most beautiful ancient houses in the Mekong Delta.
Binh Thuy house was built in 1870 and owned by the Duong family.
This old house is one of the few old houses intact to this day and has great value in research and understanding the culture and customs of the people in the Mekong delta.
- Address: 144 Bui Huu Nghia street, Binh Thuy, Can Tho.
- Opening time: 8 am to 12 pm & 2 pm to 6 pm
- Ticket price: 15,000 VND / person
Stroll Truc Lam Phuong Nam Zen Monastery
Truc Lam Phuong Nam Zen Monastery is a beautiful monastery located about 15 km from Can Tho center.
The monastery has an architectural style in the Ly – Tran dynasty, with the general shade is reddish-brown tile and large wooden pillars.
The temple and the surroundings are really quiet and relaxing, so it’s great to spend a couple of hours here, relax and enjoy the serene atmosphere.
- Address: My Khanh, Phong Dien, Can Tho
- Opening time: 6 am to 6 pm
Can Tho night market
After a day exploring Can Tho, spend your free time at the night market and sample some delicious street food.
There are a few night markets in Can Tho:
- Tay Do night market:
- Address: Hai Ba Trung street, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho. It is located in the Can Tho International Fair and Exhibition.
- Tay Do Night Market is located right next to Ninh Kieu Wharf, in front of the gate with the name of Can Tho Night Market.
- Ninh Kieu night market
- Address: Corner between Hai Ba Trung and Nguyen Thai Hoc street, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
- Ninh Kieu night market is close to Tay Do night market, not far from Ninh Kieu Wharf.
- Tran Phu night market?
- Address: located on Tran Phu street, Cai Khe, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
- This market is next to Song Hau Park and Can Tho Stadium.
The markets usually start at 5 pm and end at about 11 pm, and the busiest time is around 8 pm to 9 pm.
What to try at Can Tho night market?
- Fruit bucket: You can choose any fruit that you like and pay per glass size. It costs around $1 to $1.8
- Cơm cháy Kho quẹt (Corched rice with braised pork and fish sauce)
- Chè (sweet soup)