Have you watched the reboot version of King Kong franchise – Kong: Skull Island (2017)?
Vietnam was proudly one of the selected filming locations for this movie. The Blockbuster Kong: Skull Island was shot in various famous destinations in Vietnam such as Ha Long Bay, Quang Binh Province, and Ninh Binh was one of the chosen places in this list as well.
In this article, I will show you the Kong: Skull Island filming location in Trang An, Ninh Binh, Vietnam, with a special guide to the aboriginal village.
Are you ready to discover the Aboriginal village in the movie?
Background of Skull Island Vietnam
In case you haven’t watched the movie yet, you can check out the details here on IMDb
When the Kong: Skull Island crew finished filming in Vietnam, they left and cleaned up all the scene setting. Even though they left nothing back, the government took the chance and restored the filming location to attract domestic and foreign tourists. The plan works out and this place becomes one of the must visit when you get to Vietnam.
How to get there?
The Kong: Skull Island movie was filmed in Trang An, a scenic area near Ninh Bình, Vietnam. Therefore, you just need to come here and take the boat tour. There are several boat tours daily, so you don’t need to book any tour in advance. You just need to go there and purchase the ticket.
Note: You must choose the 2nd Tour which includes the Aboriginal village. If you choose the first route, you can only see the caves and some temples.
How much does the tour cost?
You will be so surprised when you know this. The Film location tour price is already included in the whole Trang An tour, which is only 200 000 VND ($8.8). You will get a 3-hour-boat-tour around Trang An + a free time visiting the village. You can enjoy the view and explore this film set in 3 hours with a boat-rider.
What to pack?
- Camera: A good camera is a MUST! The scenery is amazing, so you will miss a lot without a camera.
- Hat: Vietnamese weather is so hot and humid, so sitting under the sun for 3 hours without a hat is not a good idea.
- Some snacks: You can buy in some area, but there is not many places or restaurants around.
- Comfortable shoes: You need to walk around a lot, so it’s better to wear something comfortable.
- Small cash: It will be a nice gesture to tip the boat riders around 50,000 VND ~ 100,000 VND. They work really hard to provide the service, so they deserve with all that rowling. Also, they cannot work every day, and they have to clean up the area for free when they’re not working. So, a bit tip is necessary in this case.
How about a life jacket? Do you need to bring one? No, you don’t have to because it is already included in a tour.
You will follow this path to the village…
Discover the boat
Do you remember this place in the movie? Let’s discover the boat :)
Skull Island Village
Here you are! You make it to the village!
Be careful, they may catch you!
I’m just kidding!
They were super friendly when I was there. Those people acted in the movie, so the government offered them a job at this place. They will be happy to take some pictures with you, so don’t hesitate to ask them ;)
It’s time to say goodbye~~~
*This article was updated on May 4th 2018.