Have you watched the reboot version of the King Kong franchise – Kong: Skull Island (2017)?
Vietnam was proudly one of the selected filming locations for this movie.
This article will show you the Kong: Skull Island filming location in Trang An, Ninh Binh, Vietnam, with a complete guide to the native village.
Are you ready to discover the Aboriginal village in the movie?
Background of Skull Island Vietnam
If you haven’t watched the movie yet, you can check out the details here on IMDb.
When the Kong: Skull Island crew finished filming in Vietnam, they left and cleaned up all the scene-setting.
Even though they left nothing back, the government took the chance and restored the filming location to attract domestic and foreign tourists.
The plan works out, and this place becomes one of the must-visit when you get to Vietnam.
How to get to Skull Island Trang An?
The Kong: Skull Island movie was filmed in Trang An, a scenic area near Ninh Bình, Vietnam.
Trang An Tour from Hanoi
The easiest way to visit the Skull island movie film set in Trang An is by booking a one-day tour to Trang An from Hanoi.
As a tour includes convenient roundtrip transfers from Hanoi, you won’t need to bother about getting from Hanoi to Ninh Binh and taking a taxi to Trang An, which can be costly if you travel solo.
Also, by taking a Trang An tour, you will get an excellent opportunity to visit Bai Dinh temple, one of the largest temples in Vietnam.
- English speaking guide
- Boat trip cruise
- Sightseeing fees during guided time
- Hotel pick up and drop off at the Old Quarter
- Insurance provided by the operator
Not Inclusive Of:
- Personal expenses
- Electric minibus ($1.2 per person/way). This bus’s route runs within the Bai Dinh Pagoda area.
DIY Trang An Guide
Price: 300,000 VND (2-way buses) + 200,000 VND (boat ticket) + Taxi
Alternatively, you can also take a train or bus from Hanoi to Ninh Binh.
The train will only drop you off at Ninh Binh train station, and then you will need to take a taxi or rent a motorbike to get to Trang An, which is approximately 6 km away.
If you take a bus to Ninh Binh from Hanoi, you will be able to choose the drop-off location at Trang An boat terminal.
Please read Hanoi to Ninh Binh Travel Guide for more information.
How much is the ticket for Trang An boat rides?
At the boat terminal, you can purchase your boat ticket.
The ticket costs 200,000 VND for Vietnamese (4 people per boat) and 400,000 VND for foreigners (2 people per boat).
Comparing the price, it costs more if you travel to Trang An on your own. Therefore, I would suggest choosing Trang An Day tour if you only intend to visit Ninh Binh in 1 day.
Read more: Top things to do in Ninh Binh.
You must choose the 2nd Tour, which includes the Aboriginal village. If you select the first route, you can only see the caves and some temples.
You will get a 3-hour-boat-tour around Trang An and free time visiting the village. You can enjoy the view and explore this film set in 3 hours with a boat-rider.
What to pack?
- Camera: A good camera is a MUST! The scenery is impressive so that you will miss a lot without a camera.
- Hat: Vietnamese weather is hot and humid, so sitting under the sun for 3 hours without a hat is not a good idea.
- Some snacks: You can buy in some area, but there is not many places or restaurants around.
- Comfortable shoes: You need to walk around a lot, so it’s better to wear something comfortable.
- Small cash: It will be a nice gesture to tip the boat riders around 50,000 VND ~ 100,000 VND. They work hard to provide the service, so they deserve with all that rowling. Also, they cannot work every day, and they have to clean up the area for free when they’re not working. So, a bit of tip is necessary in this case.
How about a life jacket? Do you need to bring one? No, you don’t have to because they will provide you.
You will follow this path to the village.
Discover the boat
Do you remember this place in the movie? Let’s discover!
Skull Island Village
Here you are! You make it to the village!
Be careful. They may catch you!
I’m just kidding!
They were super friendly when I was there. Those people acted in the movie, so the government offered them a job at this place. They will be happy to take some pictures with you, so don’t hesitate to ask them ;)
It’s time to say goodbye~~~
Please note that this place is no longer available in 2020.