Switzerland is a dreamland for nature lovers. The country offers endless breathtaking views, from majestic lakes to stunning green valleys. One of the most iconic scenes in Switzerland is its beautiful mountains.
In this article, you can find 8 of the most impressive mountains in Switzerland that make up its stunning landscape. You should visit these mountains to experience the best of Swiss nature. From towering peaks to rolling hills, these amazing Swiss mountains offer a variety of activities like skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and more.
Jungfrau – or “Top of Europe” – is a must-visit for anyone traveling to Switzerland. Here you can take in the stunning view from 3,454 meters atop Europe’s highest railway station – Jungfraujoch. Or explore some of the many glaciers easily accessible with the cogwheel train taking you up to the summit.
This mountain has become famous for its majestic views of snow-capped peaks, mountain lakes, and picturesque villages. It’s also a popular destination for skiers and hikers who seek out its challenging trails and ski slopes.
From hiking trails to cable cars, there’s plenty to do around Jungfrau. You can start your journey with a trip up to the beautiful Aletsch Glacier or join outdoor activities like skiing, snowboarding, sledding, or snowshoeing. For those looking for an even more thrilling adventure, you can try paragliding off the summit.
- Elevation: 4,158 meters (13,642 ft).
- Location: Northern canton of Bern and the southern canton of Valais, between Interlaken and Fiesch.
- Mountain range: Alps, Bernese Alps.
- Train ticket: It’s best to buy a round-trip Jungfrau train ticket online. You can redeem your ticket at the Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen Station.
- Tour: For a hassle-free experience, it’s best to book a day trip to Jungfraujoch from Zurich, Lucerne, or Interlaken.
- Places to stay: The beautiful towns of Gimmelwald and Mürren both have stunning mountain vistas. However, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are bigger and have superior transportation systems. If you have a short amount of time in the Jungfrau region, you should stay in Interlaken. Here are my recommended hotels:
Mount Rigi, located in the heart of the Swiss Alps, is considered one of Switzerland’s most magnificent mountains. At an impressive 1,798 meters high, Mount Rigi offers breathtaking views and a variety of outdoor activities.
This majestic peak is famous for its spectacular sunrises and sunsets, attracting many people worldwide. It is especially famous for its picturesque view of 13 nearby mountain peaks and the two lakes at its feet: Lake Lucerne and Lake Zug.
You can take a mountain train up Mount Rigi or hike up one of several trails to explore all that it has to offer. Once on top, you can enjoy stunning vistas while picnicking, swimming in alpine pools, or participating in other adventurous activities.
You may also take a cable car up to the top for an even more spectacular experience. On a clear day, it’s possible to see across Lake Lucerne down below.
For those looking for something more relaxing, there are plenty of cozy cabins where you can enjoy traditional Swiss cuisine or simply relax with a book surrounded by nature’s beauty. Rigi Kaltbad is a great place to stay and enjoy a hot bath with a beautiful view.
- Elevation: 1,797.5 m (5,897 ft)
- Location: Central Switzerland (Schwyz and Lucerne)
- Mountain range: Schwyz Alps
- Train ticket: You can book a cogwheel train ticket to Rigi, which includes train and cable car rides.
- Tour: Explore Mt Rigi on a day trip from Lucerne with a cruise and cable car.
- Places to stay: Rigi Kaltbad is an excellent place to stay in Rigi. You can also stay a few nights in Lucerne and explore the surroundings. Find hotels in Lucerne here!
- Travel Pass: You can get a Swiss Travel Pass to save money and travel comfortably.
Mount Pilatus is a popular Swiss tourist destination. Located close to Lucerne, this mountain stands at 7,000 feet above sea level and overlooks Lake Lucerne.
This mountain is especially famous for its breathtaking views of the alps, which can be enjoyed from the top via cable car or gondola. It also has been made famous by its mythological origins, with legends of dragons and other creatures that used to inhabit it!
But Mount Pilatus is much more than just a legend; you can enjoy activities such as hiking, skiing, tobogganing, or simply taking in the stunning views from its many lookout points. There are also plenty of restaurants and hotels on and around the mountain where you can stay for extended periods if you’re looking for a longer getaway.
This mountain can be reached in several ways. One popular way is via the world’s steepest cogwheel railway, which takes you to its summit, offering breathtaking views. Or you can take a thrilling ride up in one of two cable cars that run up either side of the mountain.
- Elevation: 2,128.5 m (6,983 ft)
- Location: Nidwalden and Obwalden
- Mountain range: Emmental Alps, Uri Alps.
- Tickets: You can take a cable car from Kriens to the summit. Book your tickets here.
- Tour: From Lucerne, you can take a guided day trip to Mt. Pilatus with a lake cruise, cable car, and cogwheel train. Check more details here. If you’re based in Zurich, you can check out this tour.
- Places to stay: For a once-a-lifetime experience, stay at Hotel Pilatus-Kulm. Built in 1890, this hotel is located on Mt. Pilatus at 2,132 meters above sea level, offering magnificent mountain and lake views. You can also stay in the picturesque Lucerne and take a day trip to Pilatus.
- Transport: You should rent a car to explore the Swiss mountains easier. Check your car options here.
Standing at 4,478 meters high, The Matterhorn is one of Switzerland’s most majestic and beautiful mountains. It’s located in the Pennine Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy.
The Matterhorn is well known for its distinctive pyramidal peak that looks like a pyramid from all angles. This mountain is popular among hikers and climbers due to its difficulty level. Still, it has also become a tourist attraction thanks to its spectacular views of the surrounding area.
You can hop on the world’s highest cable car to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise or take a magnificent train ride to Gornergrat from Zermatt for the gorgeous view of Matterhorn.
For those looking to explore The Matterhorn, there are plenty of activities available, including trekking, skiing, rock climbing, and mountaineering. You can also try paragliding with Matterhorn view.
Before embarking on an adventure here, be sure to get informed on the weather conditions, as they can quickly change at such high altitudes.
- Elevation: 4,478 m (14,692 ft).
- Location: Aosta Valley, Italy; Valais, Switzerland.
- Mountain range: Alps, Pennine Alps.
- Tickets: It’s best to book your tickets online to skip the line. You can book the cable car tickets and the train tickets from Zermatt to Gornergrat here.
- Tour: You can join a day tour from Zurich to the picturesque Zermatt and see the Matterhorn mountain. Learn more here.
- Places to stay: BEAUSiTE, Wellness Hotel Alpenhof, and Schweizerhof Zermatt are amazing places to stay in the quaint village of Zermatt. For budget travelers, check out Carina, a boutique hotel with great views and excellent services.
Mount Titlis is a must-see destination in Switzerland for any outdoor enthusiast. Standing at an impressive 3,238 meters above sea level, Mount Titlis is in the middle of central Switzerland’s Uri Alps mountain range.
It’s known for its panoramic views of snowcapped peaks, glaciers, and lush meadows that make it a truly breathtaking experience. The mountain is famous among hikers for its many trails, which offer stunning vistas as you ascend to the summit.
Visiting Titlis mountain, you can experience various exciting activities, such as skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing, and hiking. The mountain also features a revolving cable car called Rotair, which provides a 360-degree panoramic view during its ascent to the peak.
Other attractions include an ice cave with sculptures by local artists and a suspension bridge offering stunning views over the glacier below.
- Elevation: 3,238 meters (10,623 ft).
- Location: Obwalden and Bern.
- Mountain range: Alps, Bernese Alps, Uri Alps.
- Tour: You can take a day trip to Mt. Titlis from Zurich while seeing the charming Lucerne from a cable car. Read more details here.
- Places to stay: Hotel Sonnwendhof and H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg are popular places to stay in Engelberg. Both have great locations and offer comfortable rooms with beautiful views.
The Eiger is one of the most beautiful mountains in Switzerland. It is located in the Bernese Alps and stands 3,970 meters tall. This impressive peak has become famous for its sheer rock faces that challenge experienced climbers and have attracted adventurers from around the world.
The Eiger also provides stunning scenery for those who wish to refrain from participating in extreme sports. Hikers can take trails winding through lush green meadows and up steep inclines to get breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys. You may even spot rare birds or alpine flowers along your journey.
For those wanting a unique experience, guided glacier tours are available where you can explore crevasses and hidden tunnels and discover glacial caves. For more adventurous travelers, there are also paragliding activities and skiing down powdery snow slopes during wintertime.
- Elevation: 3,967 m (13,015 ft).
- Location: Canton of Bern, Switzerland
- Mountain range: Alps, Bernese Alps.
- Tickets: You can admire the beauty of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau on the train to Jungfraujoch. Get your train tickets here.
- Places to stay: Grindelwald and Wengen are the closest towns to the Eiger. Bergwelt Resort and Hotel Belvedere are excellent places to stay in Grindelwald. Both offer beautiful views and excellent amenities.
Monte Rosa is the highest mountain in the Swiss Alps. Located in the Valais canton region of Switzerland, Monte Rosa stands at an impressive 4,634 meters above sea level. The mountain’s unique combination of extremely high peaks and glaciers makes it one of the most beautiful mountains in Switzerland, if not Europe.
The best way to enjoy Monte Rosa is by taking a hike up one of its many trails. Along your ascent, you will have plenty of opportunities to take in the spectacular views and appreciate all that nature has given us.
You can also enjoy trekking routes and ski areas that allow people to explore this stunning landscape. Many people participate in guided hikes or climbs, popular with experienced mountaineers and novice walkers.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can take more challenging routes, like climbing over rocks or traversing glaciers. Those looking for something more extreme can opt for heliskiing – skiing down slopes accessible only by helicopter – with professional guides on hand to ensure safety during these exhilarating activities. With so much diversity on offer, there’s something for everyone here!
- Elevation: 4,634 m (15,203 ft)
- Location: Valais, Piedmont, and Aosta Valley
- Mountain range: Pennine Alps, Western Alps
- Transport: You should rent a car to explore the Swiss mountains easier. Check your car options here.
Mount Piz Bernina
Mount Piz Bernina is another popular destination in Switzerland. This mountain reaches a height of 4,049 meters and is the highest peak in the Eastern Alps. Its majestic beauty makes it famous among hikers, mountaineers, and photographers who come to capture its stunning vistas.
Adventurous travelers can explore Mount Piz Bernina’s many trails, some of which offer breathtaking views, including glaciers, lakes, alpine meadows, and picturesque villages.
In addition to hiking, you can also participate in activities such as skiing or snowboarding during winter. For those looking for something more relaxed, simply taking photos from nearby lookout points makes for an enjoyable experience too!
- Elevation: 4,048.6 m (13,283 ft).
- Location: Graubünden, Switzerland.
- Mountain range: Alps, Bernina Range, Central Eastern Alps.
- Item: Don’t forget to get a Swiss Travel Pass for a comfortable trip.
Frequently asked questions about Swiss mountains.
How many mountains are there in Switzerland?
Switzerland boasts an impressive total of 482 mountains that reach heights above 3,000 meters. Among them is Monte Rosa – the highest peak at 4,634 meters – as well as Piz Bernina (4,049 m) and Matterhorn (4,478 m). The Swiss Alps are also home to over 1,500 glaciers and numerous valleys and lakes where you can participate in activities like skiing or hiking.
What is the most famous mountain in Switzerland?
This title goes to the Matterhorn. Located near Zermatt on the border between Switzerland and Italy, this 3,454-meter (11,332 feet) giant is one of Europe’s tallest peaks. Its distinctive pyramid shape has made it an iconic symbol of the Swiss Alps, appearing on countless postcards and souvenirs across Switzerland. The Matterhorn is symbolic of more than just its striking beauty; it’s also renowned for being one of the deadliest mountains in Europe.
When is the best time to visit the Switzerland mountains?
The months of May to October are ideal for mountain trips in Switzerland. During this period, many roads and trails become accessible again after winter snow has melted away. The weather is also milder during these months, making hiking much more enjoyable. Additionally, many tourist attractions open up, including cable cars and chairlifts that take you closer to the mountains’ summits for stunning views.
What are the best things to do in the Swiss mountains you shouldn’t miss?
One great thing you can do is take a cable car ride up one of Switzerland’s iconic mountains for stunning panoramic views. For an even higher view of Switzerland’s diverse landscapes, take a helicopter tour and explore as far as Zurich, Lucerne, and Interlaken! And if hiking is more your style, there are plenty of trails for all levels – ranging from easy strolls around lakes to more challenging treks through rocky terrain.