Porto, Portugal is a true gem, steeped in history and beauty. From its iconic Ribeira Square and historic churches to its picturesque bridges and colorful houses along the Douro River, renting a car in Porto will help you explore it all.
And the best part? Porto is also the perfect starting point for some amazing day trips. Just a short drive away, you’ll find some of Portugal’s most stunning natural wonders.
Keep reading for some top tips on how to rent a car in Porto and make the most of your Portuguese adventure. Let’s hit the road!
Do you need to rent a car in Porto?
There are many reasons why renting a car in Porto is a good idea:
- You’ll have the flexibility to see all the amazing sights and explore the different neighborhoods at your own pace. No more sticking to a bus or tour schedule, you can go where you want, when you want!
- You’ll easily be able to go on day trips to the multiple nearby attractions.
- You might even save money overall – you’ll save a ton of money compared to constantly taking taxis. You’ll also have the option to stay in budget-friendly hotels a bit further from the main tourist areas.
- No more hauling heavy bags around, your rental car will make it so much easier to carry your belongings. Plus, you can easily run errands and stock up on groceries at supermarkets. Cooking yourself in self-catered accommodation is a great money saver.
So I recently took a trip to Porto and let me tell you, having a car made all the difference. I was able to explore the region’s beautiful natural wonders and cute towns to the fullest.
The Douro Valley was a definite highlight – the vineyards, rolling hills, and breathtaking views were just stunning.
I also got to take a break at the nearby beaches of Matosinhos and Espinho, which were a welcome escape from the busy city life.
But one of the most memorable experiences was visiting the charming town of Guimarães, the birthplace of Portugal. I was blown away by its perfect mix of history, architecture, and gorgeous parks and gardens.
Being a budget-conscious traveler, I was on the hunt for the best deal on a rental car. And that’s when I stumbled upon Discover Cars. Their website was so easy to use, and I was able to find the perfect car at an unbeatable price.
What requirements are there to rent a car in Portugal?
Renting a car in Portugal is a breeze, just like in most Western European countries!
Just make sure you’ve got your home country’s driving license with you. Most rental companies prefer it to be at least a year old.
No need for an International Driving Permit (IDP), but it’s a quick and cheap process if you want to get one.
When you’re ready to rent your ride, you can easily pay in advance using common payment methods, but you’ll need a credit card for the deposit payment when you arrive. And make sure the credit card is under the same name as your passport.
Oh, and one more thing, you gotta be at least 21 years old to rent a car. Some companies may allow younger drivers for smaller cars, but you’ll have to check. Also, you might have to pay a bit extra each day if you’re under 25.
In summary, you need:
- A driving license from your home country.
- Your ID (passport).
- Credit card, debit card, or PayPal for payment when booking the car online.
- A credit card in your name (not a debit card) for paying the deposit on arrival.
How much does it cost to rent a car in Porto?
The cost of renting a car in Porto varies based on the type of car, the rental company, and the length of the rental.
Typically, a small car will run you about €5-30 per day, while a larger car or luxury vehicle could cost €30-70 or more.
You should shop around and compare prices from different rental companies – I always use Discover Cars.
A pro tip – book early, and you’ll get a better deal. And if you’re planning on having the car for a few more days, the daily price will drop – having the car for five days instead of two or three might not even cost much more.
Just a heads up, prices can be higher during the summer months of June to mid-September. So if you’re visiting during these times, be sure to book in advance to get the best deal.
Where should I rent a car from in Porto?
There are many popular places you can rent a car from in Porto:
- International rental car companies like Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt have set up shop at Porto Airport and around the city, making it super easy to pick up and drop off your rental at different locations.
- There are also local rental car companies that usually offer more affordable rates. Just keep in mind that their car selection might be a bit more limited.
- Your hotel can help you out, but keep in mind that they’ll probably charge a bit more. They’ll even arrange for the car to be dropped off at your hotel.
- You can use a car rental comparison website to book your car rental and get the best deal – I recommend checking out Discover Cars. Your rental will be waiting for you when you arrive.
Which type of car is best to use in Porto?
When it comes to picking a rental car, you should think about the type of vehicle you will need for your stay.
If you’re mostly gonna be cruising around the city, a smaller car might be the way to go. Central Porto has some pretty narrow streets, so a compact car will help you navigate the roads like a pro. Plus, it’ll be super easy to park and maneuver in tight spaces.
But if you’re planning on taking a road trip to some nearby destinations, a larger car might be a better fit for you. These bigger rides are made for long drives, so you’ll have plenty of room and comfort for your journey.
Just keep in mind that most of the cars available will have manual transmissions, which is pretty standard in Europe. If you prefer an automatic ride, you might want to book in advance, as the supply of automatics can be limited.
Is driving in Porto difficult?
Driving in Porto? No problem! It’s just like driving in any other Western European city, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
During rush hour, the traffic can get a bit crazy just like in any other city. To avoid getting caught in the hustle and bustle, try to steer clear of the city center during the busiest times of the day.
Exploring tourist hotspots like Ribeira and Baixa can be a little tricky with their mazes of narrow streets.
If you want to make it easier on yourself, especially during peak periods, park your car outside these areas and explore on foot. A handy navigation app can help you find a nearby parking spot close to your destination.
Looking to head out of the city for some day trips? No problem! Porto is well connected with five major highways, so you’re all set for a smooth drive.
And, don’t worry about the roads – Portuguese roads are in great condition and well-maintained.
Is it a good idea to rent an electric car in Porto?
Are you considering going green with your car rental in Porto? Well, that’s great news! Porto is a city that’s making efforts to become more eco-friendly, and there are plenty of charging stations around for electric vehicles.
If you’re only planning on sticking around the city center, an electric car might just be the perfect choice for you.
With limited driving distances, you won’t have to worry about running out of juice on the road. Plus, you’ll get to enjoy the smooth and quiet ride that only electric vehicles can provide.
However, if you’re planning on venturing beyond Porto for some day trips, you might want to think twice about an electric car. The charging network in Portugal is still growing, so it might be a challenge to find a charging station when you need it.
In the end, it all comes down to your personal preferences and travel plans.
If you’re an environmentally conscious traveler who wants to reduce your carbon footprint, an electric car might just be the way to go.
But if you’re more focused on convenience, a traditional petrol or diesel car might be a better fit.