In this travel guide, you’ll find useful information about traveling from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi by bus, van, and taxi, including timetable, ticket prices, and tips.
Bangkok to Kanchanaburi: Overview
The distance between Bangkok and Kanchanaburi is about 150 km (64 miles), and you can easily travel between the two cities by bus, van, and taxi. The travel time is about 3 hours, depending on the vehicle type and traffic situation.
If you travel on a budget, it’s better to take a bus to Kanchanaburi as the ticket costs about $3. A private car ride is more convenient – expect to pay about $84 for your trip.
If you have a short time, you can join a day tour to Kanchanaburi. On this tour, you’ll visit Erawan National Park and other WWII memorable places in Kanchanaburi. You can also take the historical River Kwai train ride and Hellfire Pass on this tour.
|Bus||3 hours||$3 (€3)||Check tickets|
|Car||3 hours||$84 (€83)||Check car options|
|Tour||14 hours||$78 (€77)||Check availability|
- Guide: Erawan National Park, Prasat Mueang Singh, Bridge Over the River Kwai, and Hellfire Pass are popular places to visit in Kanchanaburi. You can also visit Elephant Sanctuary and feed and bathe rescued animals.
- Accommodation: U Inchantree and Good Time Resort are fabulous places to stay in Kanchanaburi. Both resorts offer outdoor pools, comfortable rooms, and excellent services. If you travel on a budget, check out Bure Homestay, a lovely place near the city center.
- Tour: You can join a private day tour and explore the highlights of Kanchanaburi. Flexible itineraries and a private driver allow you to visit the attractions that most interest you.
- Books: Learn more tips and guides with Lonely Planet Thailand Travel.
- Insurance: Don’t forget to buy travel insurance for medical emergencies, trip cancellation, delays, and item losses.
Bangkok to Kanchanaburi bus/ van
Traveling by bus or van is a budget option from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi.
Kanchanaburi Express, Monsiri, and Win Happy offer daily buses and vans to Kanchanaburi, and the journey takes about 3 to 3 hours and 20 minutes, depending on your location.
On average, there are buses and vans every half an hour to an hour. Please come at least 30 minutes before departure for check-in procedures.
The ticket price is from $3 (€3) to $4 (€4).
|Journey time||3 hours|
|Frequency||60 buses/ vans per day|
|First bus||5 am|
|Last bus||8:30 pm|
|Departure station||Mochit, Southern Bus Terminal|
|Arrival station||Kanchanaburi Bus Terminal|
|Operators||Kanchanaburi Express, Monsiri, Win Happy|
|Kanchanaburi Express||5:00||7:30||Check tickets|
|Win Happy||6:00||9:00||Check tickets|
|Kanchanaburi Express||8:00||10:30||Check tickets|
|Win Happy||9:00||12:00||Check tickets|
How long is the bus from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi?
The bus to Kanchanaburi takes about 3 to 3 hours and 20 minutes, depending on your departure location. Please note that the travel time could be slightly longer due to traffic time.
How much is the bus ticket from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi?
The bus ticket to Kanchanaburi costs about $3 (€3) to $4 (€4). Please note that prices may change on weekends and national holidays.
Where are the departure and arrival stations?
Buses leave Mochit New Van Terminal or Southern Bus Terminal and arrive at Kanchanaburi Bus Terminal.
When is the first and last bus depart from Bangkok?
The first bus departs at 5 am, while the last leaves at 8:30 pm. For the latest schedule, please check here. Please come at least 30 minutes before departure for check-in procedures.
Bangkok to Kanchanaburi car
It’s also great if you travel in a group of more than three people, with kids, the elderly or with a lot of luggage.
This option allows you to select car models and plan your time better. Also, it is available 24 hours, which is perfect if you’re traveling early in the morning or late at night.
Bangkok to Kanchanaburi tour
There are WWII-related sites across the province, but Kanchanaburi offers more than simply wartime atrocities. Rich with thick jungles, it is home to the Erawan waterfall, one of the most beautiful in Thailand, and Prasat Mueang Singh’s historical park.
Taking a tour from Bangkok is also an excellent way to visit Kanchanaburi. You can select different tours depending on your interest.
- Erawan National Park and WWII sights in Kanchanaburi.
- River Kwai train ride and Hellfire Pass: Taking the train ride on Death Railway is one of our favorite experiences.
You can also hire a private car charter and design your tour.